Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The beauty of island life

.
Since I moved here at the beginning of an unseasonably cold and wet winter, I've been grousing about one thing: dry clothes. The trouble to dry clothes is nearly insurmountable without the aid of an iron and a lot of patience. On my inaugural taxi ride from TPE to Nankang -- home of Academia Sinica and where I spent my first night -- I first heard the apparent motto of the neighborhood, "It always rains in Nankang." Within the first week of moving here, I learned the hard way that things in Taipei, and in particular Houshanpi, my barrio that shares neighboring Nankang's luck for precip, just don't get too dry. I've been shopping for a dryer, which though a bit uncommon are uncommonly cheap (around US$150), but the language barrier has been a bit much for the task. So downside.

Now the upside. Beaches. Taiwan is an ISLAND! BEAUTIFUL ISLAND if the original Portuguese were apt in their naming of Formosa. My first journey to the seashore was easy as pie -- the subway. I hopped on the subway from my apartment, made one transfer, and BAM! I was on the boardwalk, Asian-style at Tamsui. While lousy busy on the weekend, everywhere worth going is busy on the weekends as Taipeiers love getting out and enjoying their environs. Kudos to them, but a bit of crowd surfing for me.  


So the food. Because this is Taiwan, life begins, revolves, and ends around the food. And boardwalks of course have their own specialties. Of course there was cotton candy and Turkish -- no, a real Turk behind the scoop! -- ice cream, but there were also fried skewered wantons with shrimp balls inside and garnished with sweet, salty, and spicy sauce....






... and little skewered fried quail eggs that are cracked into a preheated griddle with individual wells for each egg (a bit bland next to other stuff)...







.... and the freshest fried squid eaten with skewers. A dash of the spicy -- xin la -- seasoning, and we were in business. I still kinda crave these sometimes, but it's not so hard to find in Taipei. It's just that the boardwalk atmo infinitely improves on what's already golden goodness. 







Squid was actually well represented on the boardwalk as you could also get it boiled. It was served in a plastic bag with -- you guessed it -- skewers, and people just ate it sans ceremony. 








If you follow the bank of the river past the boardwalk you come to some strange sights, including a large bust of a distinctly Western-looking gentleman. His name was George Mackay and he was a Canadian missionary who brought Western medicine and medical education to Taiwan in 1872. The streets here also show the signs of the Spanish and Dutch colonization brought to Tamsui in the 1600s.








A few hours leisurely walk from the MRT station past the boardwalk and lulling fishing boats at last brought me to the end of my road and the Lovers Bridge. I wish I could tell some story about unrequited love or star-crossed paramours pitching themselves to their deaths, but actually the lover bit only seems to manifest itself in the fact that the thing is a soft, baby PINK. Still, it has it's picturesque qualities. Especially at dusk when the pink shade sort of fades.  And here on the bank of the Tamsui River nearly to where it empties into the Taiwan Strait you can find, that's right, more FOOD! A perfectly lovely spot for a feast at one of the many stalls selling the freshest catch.  







For my part, I ventured a little way back in the direction of the MRT where a modest shop let me pick my dinner out of enormous tubs of live fish, eels, shrimp, crabs, and squid. You point to your victim, specify how you want it cooked, and in twenty minutes or so, reap the benefits of a long picturesque walk at Tamsui. 












2 comments:

  1. Beach and Boardwalk food Taiwan style!! the squidies look super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you continue to have fun!

    ReplyDelete